A research led by Prof. Alexander Binshtok uses cannabidiol to open a channel for drugs to target cancer cells only. This method can deliver chemotherapy drugs directly to malignant cells and bypasses healthy ones. This can mean a significant decrease in serious side effects of chemotherapy, making the process more bearable for patients.
The research received significant media attention since being published, including in countries such as The United States, France and Australia. Some of the news stories include:
- The Jerusalem Post: "How cannabis could be a first step in treating liver cancer"
- The Times of Israel: "Israeli researchers hope new chemotherapy method could reduce side effects"
- Israel21c: "CBD could help doctors use lower doses of chemotherapy"
- Yahoo India News: "Researchers discover new method to reduce chemo doses for patients"
- Arutz Sheva: "Discovery at Hebrew University could revolutionize chemotherapy"
The link to the publication in Frontiers in Pharmacology: https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2019.01198